Monday, November 11, 2013

My first jewellery repair (small)project

Two ladies visited our workshop today and suddenly my tutor called me and asked me to correct a ring to the shape and bring it.

I was shocked. I have never done repairs and especially I dont want to play with other people's jewellery, atleast till I gain confidence.

I could not say no, so I got the ring. It was a gold ring with no stones, a little work on the top, and with almost a 'V' shape bend in the shank. I annealed it, quenched in water and then placed the ring on the ring mandrel and slowly and softly hit with the raw-hide mallet.

It became round in shape, but I was worried to hit more so I gave it to my tutor.
He took it and hit some more and then we pickled it and gave. I was worried that I should not make the size bigger by continously hitting it. End of the day I was happy that somehow I started my repair work too.

I dont know if the goldsmiths style of work in our state and the goldsmiths all over the world have the same style of working although I have seen a lot of similarities.

The goldsmiths in our state have been in this occupation for generations. Outsiders never came into the profession.When I learned in Mumbai there were atleast 25 students, out of which I was the only one that did not come from jewellery background. 

All others were either children of diamond dealers, manufacturers and goldsmiths.

But now I am seeing that most of the goldsmiths are not interested in their children getting into this occupation. They want them to study well and go for a job.
But now people from different backgrounds get into this industry.  So I guess life has its own way of balancing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment