Friday, December 11, 2015

Silver for the festivals

When I write all these blogs I am myself surprised at the amount of silver and gold that we use in our daily lives. I think that we have taken it for granted and we dont even realise it.

As I wrote earlier, offering poojas is a major custom in India.

In TamilNadu, mostly we use silver utensils because we believe that it is in a pure form. Meaning we use stainless steel to eat our every day food. So we dont offer anything in that.

Big engraved, repoussed plates are used to keep fruits. Silver lamps are used in different sizes.

A small utensil called Utharani is used to offer the food to the God.

Even an incense-stick holder can be in silver.

Earlier I had written about the repousse in silver sembu. That is used for the pooja.

Food like payasam(made with jaggery and dhal and milk), or sarkarai pongal (a sweetened rice) all are offered in silver bowls.

Even the powder that we apply on our forehead after the pooja is kept in silver bowls.

Again as I said, all depends on one's financial status.

In some temples, I have seen dry fruits stored in big silver vessels.


No comments:

Post a Comment