Wednesday, April 30, 2014

My first day experience as a jewellery exhibitor at a jewellery exhibition

Today was my first day as a jewellery exhibitor in an exhibition.

What do I say and where do I start?

The jewellery that everyone displayed was imitation and beaded jewellery and ofcourse terracota.

Though I am part of a company 'MYIDentity  for women" where we do all types of trainings for women, my love has always been jewellery. So I wanted to start exhibiting with the terracota jewellery we made.

What a disaster it was! I always believed that you let your pieces speak about you and all along I was thinking I can do marketing very well. Yeah, marketing may be but not definitely sales.

It was the truth that struck me. I have been reading the post in Ganoksin/Orchid for sometime on marketing and sales, and I read that some jewellers left the sales to the sales expert and they concentrated on creating.

I thought why one cant do both. May be many do. But for me today was a revelation.

My neighbouring stall owner was convincing the buyer to buy her bead jewellery. I simply looked:)

And not to forget something. Selling is very difficult. Especially the place I live, people expect quality, the cheapest price and not to forget an offer or discount on that!

And terracota will break when handled carelessly. They dont want jewellery that breaks. I am not generalising but mostly they prefer un-breakable jewellery:(

I get upset when they bargain to the cheapest price, not understanding the effort that goes into it.

When I quoted the least price to a visitor, without even thinking she asked why is terracota so expensive?

I was shocked. I quoted less than a dollar. We usually quote a very reasonable price. Lesser than the market in fact.

I asked her if she has made any jewellery? She said no. I said when you do you will know the pain in creating such jewellery. Was I wrong in telling that? I then realised maybe I was rude and explained the process to her. But I dont think she ever paid attention.

I have been sitting here weeks creating, baking and painting till late nights and they just throw comments on your face.

I was bugged, but there were lot of enquiries for terracota training! I know that I teach well, and there are students who can second that. So I think that I should just stick to training and educating.

The set that I made late last night and displayed in the exhibition.








No comments:

Post a Comment