Friday, December 18, 2015

Repousse on Silver - Lamp

I have never seen any artist doing a repousse work. I visited a jewellery exhibition once. It was strictly B2B. But since we were students from the Jewellery school we were given special permission.

We were going through different stalls. Wonderful jewellery everywhere. I was like, no words to express. So much of jewellery all in one place.

Since it was a B2B, jewellers from North India also had exhibited. I was told that jewellers from big shops also visit the other shops and book unique designs for their shop. 

The experience was totally different. Many stalls did not allow us, as there were heavy purchases going on between businesses.

As we were going through, somewhere I heard a rhythmic sound. I had a hunch that should be a repousse work going on. When we went there, there were three artisans who were doing repousse work on a Sembu. (I had posted about this in another blog)

They just wanted to display the art of repousse. I got his address and then later visited his place.

You would be amazed to see their work in such a small place, with limited tools. 
I asked him if I could take a picture of just one repousse work. This was an order he was doing for a shop.

He did not show the full piece, but just the lamp stand. 




He did not allow me to take more than one.

This is a peacock design on stem of the lamp. If you google Indian lamps you might get images and you might be able to figure it out where it comes.

We consider lighting these lamps on auspicious occasions, like marriage etc.

There will be a sort of cup on top of this where we pour oil put cotton wicks and light it

At the bottom there is a stand to hold this stem.

You can make this is in all sizes, its according to people prosperity.

You get this from 2 inches tall to 6 feet tall and in silver and brass.

Amazing work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment